Why train with Doula Canada?
There are many reasons why Doula Canada is a top choice!
If you are an aspiring Doula or Childbirth Educator our team offers a unique opportunity to be mentored and inspired by highly experienced doulas, a growing body of students, and an alumni who are each passionate about our profession.
Our goal: To be the vanguard of change and opportunity for confident birth workers and perinatal support in coast-to-coast (and around the world too!).
How? Doula Canada actively participates in open discussions with primary provincial health organizations and collaboratively works with other support professionals to educate our communities. We aspire to work towards “Birth Positive” experiences for our clients, our doulas, and growing families in general.
Our team has years of experience in education, business, counselling, academics and as support persons for growing families worldwide.
The Doula Training Canada instructors are ready to lead you towards a path of success in your own Doula or Childbirth Educator career.
We are more than a doula training.
We are a Doula Nation.
Are you ready to Doula Canada?
OUR ADMIN & INSTRUCTOR TEAM
Shaunacy King, CD & CBE
Director & Program Coordinator
Shaunacy King, (Certified Doula and CBE) is the Director for Doula Canada.
With a lust for learning Shaunacy has a history of postgraduate degrees where she has devoted her time to researching the social and cultural experiences of Canadians.
Mother of two, you can find her curled up with a cuppa tea and a good book or hanging out on the beach during her winter months in Costa Rica!
- Current Marketing Director for the Association of Ontario Doulas
- Certified Birth and Postpartum Doula
- Certified Childbirth Educator
- MPhil in History, University of Glasgow
- History degree, Trent University (PhD 2007-)
- Trainings in Spinning Babies, Perinatal Loss and Companioning, Breastfeeding Education, Rebozo, Benefits of the Peanut Ball, and marketing for business (various programs)
- Previous owner of Glow Birth Services (est. 2009)
Sondra’s background in family therapy and mental health work drives her to create environment for her clients and students that is both supportive and challenging of bias and assumptions. Teaching and development of curriculum drives her to continue to grow. Sondra is a certified Labour and Birth Doula, Dancing for Birth Instructor, Gena kirby method rebozo certified and a Dad/Partner Certified Doula. Sondra is a mama to two curious and bright little girls and 2 fur babies. She loves hiking and camping and tv with equal fervour!
Atlantic Canada Instructor
As one of the original founders of the Doula Collective of NL, Jillian has been a passionate doula in the St. John’s Newfoundland area since 2008.
As the sole proprietor of Hand to Heart she is certified as a Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, Birthing from Within Mentor, Lamaze Instructor, and Masters in Social Work. In 2016, she was the recipient of the YWCA Woman of Distinction award in the Mentoring and Education category for her work within the Newfoundland doula community. She is a busy mother-of-two who presents regularly on the topic of doulas to nursing and medical students, and other health professionals.
- Currently member and Chair of the Doula Collective of NL
- Certified Birth and Postpartum Doula through DONA International
- Member and certified mentor through Birthing From Within
- Member and certified instructor through LAMAZE International
- BSW and MSW degrees in Social Work
- Trainings in Spinning Babies, Perinatal Loss, Birth Story Medicine (birth trauma processing), Birth Art Processes, facilitating Postpartum Support Groups; Benefits of the Peanut Ball, and running a successful doula business (among others!)
Infant and Pregnancy Loss, Program Coordinator
Owner of Body Maintenance Registered Massage Therapy, Barb has been working as a certified labour doula and bereavement support since 2005.
Barb’s work in the loss community has expanded to include one on one loss support as an on call hospital bereavement doula. She advocates for women in her community by guest speaking at local events and educational days for hospital staff.
- Certified Birth Doula, through HALO (now Doula Canada)
- Currently committee member for Butterfly Run Quinte
- Registered Massage Therapist
- Member of Expert Advisory Panel for Early Pregnancy Loss in the Emergency Department – Recommendations for the Provision of Compassionate Care, Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Mental Health (March 2017)
- Nominee for Canada 150 award, 2017
Labour Doula instructor, Alberta
Lover of trees, yoga, yarn and travel. Our primary Alberta instructor has a history in Gender and Women’s Studies and is a certified Labour Doula who has a knack for writing. She finds her muse in nature – truly Canadian! Mother of two busy little men, and woman on the go.