25% of Canadians experience loss at some point in their fertility journeys. The field of perinatal loss is a vast landscape covering preconception and assisted conception issues, early and late miscarriage, abortion including genetic/medical termination, prematurity, stillbirth and neonatal death.
Perinatal loss is more than the loss of a baby. Perinatal loss is the loss of a relationship. The loss of dreams and hopes. Subsequently, feelings of shame, guilt, isolation, and disenfranchised grief are common when perinatal loss is present.
The goal of this course is to provide support persons with the resources , tools and support to work with families across the vast spectrum of perinatal loss.
This comprehensive course helps you, as the support person, reflect on the impact of the experience and the environment of loss. With an emphasis on communication and the expression of individual grief, this course addresses topics from conception to identity.
After this training you:
- You will be uniquely equipped with the ability to provide information and answer questions about infant and pregnancy loss through multiple stages and experiences.
- You will confidently be able to professionally communicate about loss in order to cultivate trusting relationships; both with clients and with other professionals.
- You will be able to normalize, validate, and refer clients to loss and grief support services.
- You will have completed all assignments and requirements towards your training
- You will be provided with a certificate of completion as a Infant and Pregnancy Loss Support Person.
Persons who should consider taking the Infant and Pregnancy Loss training are:
- Birth workers, such as doulas or students (nurses, midwives) working towards becoming primary care support in a birth environment
- Practicing primary care practitioners interested in developing their skills in compassionate companionship and communication
- Persons working in a support role in their community who serve bereaved families (e.g. not-for-profit associations, or peer-to-peer organizations)
- Persons who are interested in providing one-to-one support for bereaved families before, during and after the loss of an infant or maternal family member
- Professionals who work in an emergency environment that may witness infant or maternal mortality
- Completion of 10 online modules through DTC Learning Centre
- Completion of 6 core assignments (found throughout modules) in topics such as community awareness, community partnership, cultural support, grief and loss support, professional communication, and institutional policies and protocols.
- Completion of 2-3 page reading review for Through, Not Around, and an additional 3 readings with reviews of the students choice from our curated list
- Completion of 8 Educational Units in related topics to infant or pregnancy loss
- Completion of blood borne pathogen educational unit (2 EU credits)
- Support for Two families through 1 of 3 support options (direct support, volunteer support, or workshop support)
- Completion of final reflection paper
Completion includes the final submission of all training requirements and examination. Once complete the member will receive an certificate as an Infant and Pregnancy Loss Support Person.
2024 Session Dates
The IPLS course has 4 live virtual required classes. There will be two opportunities to attend each class in 2024. Students are only required to attend each of the 4 required classes once.
Class 1 – Wednesday, February 7, 1:30pmEST
Class 2 – Wednesday, February 21, 7:30pmEST
Class 3 – Wednesday, March 6, 1:30pmEST
Case Studies – Thursday, March 28, 1:30pmEST
Class 1 – Wednesday, September 18, 7:30pmEST
Class 2 – Wednesday, October 2, 1:30pmEST
Class 3 – Wednesday, October 16, 7:30pmEST
Case Studies Class – Thursday, November 7, 1:30pmEST
Examples of module topics:
- What is Grief and Loss
- Anatomy, Physiology and Experiences of Loss
- The Role of a Loss Support Person
- Caring for Baby and Honouring the Memory in Grief
- Memorial Arrangements and Community Support
- Communication, Support, and Listening Skills
- And much more related to companionship, counselling, and community resource development
The modules are an opportunity for students completing the full training to gain awareness about theoretical concepts around loss, grief, trauma and companionship. There are many resources, articles, videos, and methods to test your ability to support others in loss.
Our Infant and Pregnancy Loss Support Person program is set at a one-time membership and certification fee of $200*.
We do not charge annual membership or renewal fees.
The cost of required readings (4 total) and the cost of educational unit workshops for EU credits (10 total) are additional costs to the student.
Approximate costs for books: $100-150
Approximate costs for EU workshops: $100 to $250 (there are many free options).
Our one time fee covers:
- Student reference guide (online access)
- Assignment grading
- Online and phone mentorship (as requested)
- Administrative costs
- Membership into our peer network
- Access to online learning modules, resources, and continuing education options
- Developed by a team of experienced bereavement counsellors and doulas who have worked significantly in infant and maternal loss at a grassroots and institutional level
- A dedicated team that takes time with each student as requested
- Our mandate is to create a standardization for loss resources and support
- A passionate family of thousands of Doulas and CBEs who are available 24/7 via our online community
- Online access to resources, learning modules, and continuing education
- Collaborations that facilitate important conversations about infant and maternal loss around the world
- No annual membership or renewal fees
- One time training fee of $200 plus applicable taxes
- Minimum deposit due at time of registration if student does not choose to pay in full, balance can be made in instalments (3 option available at time of registration); student can begin once 50% has been finalized.
- Self study start is available. Don’t see an in-class training in your area? Begin at any time with our online modules and join an in-class when you can.
- All deposits are Non-refundable. Please read our cancellation policy prior to registering.
*applicable taxes not included in base fee*