- Through carefully developed online modules, professional interviews, and access to a qualified sex trainer, students will explore the challenges, changes, and triumphs of intimacy/pleasure in pregnancy and postpartum
- Students will learn about the intersectionality of race, gender, orientation, family structures, education, geographical location, culture, and abilities impact sexual expression. We will discuss these topics and more through our weekly discussion forums.
- Students of the Sex and Birth training will review the physiological, psychological, and emotional transitions of pregnancy and postpartum and recognize how they can impact sexual health
- During these exciting 8 weeks you will critically analyze information from a variety of perspectives: queer, feminist, sex-positive, trauma-informed, social justice and reproductive justice
- Students will also examine the use of gendered language and what this communicates to clients about our beliefs and understanding of pleasure, intimacy, sexual health, birth, and parenthood
- The development of an appreciation for a breadth of healthy sexual expressions and pleasurable activities is a significant aspect of this course
- You will learn how to make educated referrals and practice asking questions
- By the end our program aims to build your confidence to openly discussing sexuality and relationships with clients
This course will explore questions like:
- What kinds of sex are people having during pregnancy?
- When do people start having sex postpartum?
- What are other ways people experience pleasure with their partners and their newborns?
- What kinds of challenges do people face during pregnancy and postpartum that hinder relationships intimacy?
- How have some people overcome these challenges?
- What resources are available to people within your community and online?Students will work through their online modules together, with weekly discussions, and instructor support. In the end students will have a closing assignment that will aid them in creating materials that they can use with future clients and their identified audience.
Module 1: Creating a foundation to build on.
Module 2: The missing voices of birth.
Module 3: Reflections on sexual messaging about women and mothers.
Module 4: Physiology and psychology of pregnancy and its impact on sexual expression.
Module 5: Physiology and psychology of labour and the postpartum period and its impact on sexual expression.
Module 6: Relationships matter.
Module 7: Talking through taboos.
Module 8: Making educated referrals.
Each week students will engage in discussion through our curated “Student Lounge” where we will openly discuss the questions and topics for the weekly module.
Students are expected to keep up with the course at a weekly pace (posting responses to discussion questions each week with the other students), but otherwise, you can engage with the material on your own time (it is not a 9-5 expectation). Meaning, you would need to watch an approx. 30min video each week, read a Module, and answer 2-3 discussion questions (totalling 4-6 posts each week).
Depending on your reading speed, the weekly commitment is about 5-7hrs. max if you take your time to digest it completely.
The 8 week Sex and Birth Training workshop is set as a one-time of fee of $175*
The cost of required readings additional costs to the student.
Approximate costs for books will vary depending on where students purchase them. The average cost of past session as been approximately $150-200.
Required Books for this Course:
1. Come As You Are: The surprising new science that will transform your sex life.
2. The Mother’s Guide to Sex: Enjoying your sexuality through all stages of motherhood.
3. And Baby Makes Three: The six-step plan for preserving marital intimacy and rekindling romance after baby arrives.
4.Survivor Moms: Women’s stories of birthing, mothering, and healing after sexual abuse.
Your one time training fee covers:
- 80 page student reference guide and accompanying materials
- Instructor fee
- Online access to your learning modules, which includes slides, professional interviews, and group discussions in our Sex and Birth “student lounge”
- Administrative costs
- Certificate of completion (electronic)
- The pleasure of calling yourself a Sex and Birth Support Person once you have completed the program!
- Canadian developed programs
- One time training fees
- A dedicated team that takes time with each student as requested
- A passionate family of thousands of Doulas and CBEs who are available 24/7 via our online community
- Online access to resources, learning modules, and continuing education
- One time fee of $175 plus applicable taxes
- Full payment due at time of registration.
- Payment can be made by Credit card, PayPal, or Email Money Transfer. More details on this will be sent when registration is processed.
- Students are responsible for the purchase of required readings.
- All payments are Non-refundable. Please read our cancellation policy prior to registering.
*applicable taxes not included in base fee*