**Please note that this online course begins on October 1st 2018. You are encouraged to register early in order to ensure the required readings arrive to you on time. Doula Canada and its instructors will let you know once the Fall learning material is available.
8 Week Online Learning: Sex in Pregnancy & Postpartum
The goal of this course is to familiarize our students with the unique challenges of pregnancy and postpartum and how this can impact pleasure, relationships within the family, and the sexual expression of individuals.
- After this training, you will be able to normalize, validate, and refer clients to sexual health and relationship services
- You will be uniquely equipped with the ability to provide information and answer questions about sexual health during the pregnancy and postpartum period. Confidently communicating about sex with clients will cultivate a trusting relationship and give clients a safe point of contact on a topic many people can feel very isolated about
- You will also be equipped to offer informational sessions, facilitate workshops with other birth workers and parents, and provide consultation services with regards to Sex & Birth
- You will be provided with a certificate of completion as a Sex and Birth Support Person (non-certified)
Students will gain access to 8 weeks of module learning, which has carefully curated readings, exclusive course materials, online videos, slides, and interviews.
Students will also become a part of our “student lounge” where they will be able to engage in weekly discussions on the module topics and connect with a trained sex support person.
Students who have taken this course have told us it has changed their lives for the better. Are you ready to learn about sex, birth and support? We are!
- Through carefully developed online modules, professional interviews, and access to a qualified sex trainer, students will explore the challenges, changes, and triumphs of intimacy/pleasure in pregnancy and postpartum
- Students will learn about the intersectionality of race, gender, orientation, family structures, education, geographical location, culture, and abilities impact sexual expression. We will discuss these topics and more through our weekly discussion forums.
- Students of the Sex and Birth training will review the physiological, psychological, and emotional transitions of pregnancy and postpartum and recognize how they can impact sexual health
- During these exciting 8 weeks you will critically analyze information from a variety of perspectives: queer, feminist, sex-positive, trauma-informed, social justice and reproductive justice
- Students will also examine the use of gendered language and what this communicates to clients about our beliefs and understanding of pleasure, intimacy, sexual health, birth, and parenthood
- The development of an appreciation for a breadth of healthy sexual expressions and pleasurable activities is a significant aspect of this course
- You will learn how to make educated referrals and practice asking questions
- By the end our program aims to build your confidence to openly discussing sexuality and relationships with clients
This course will explore questions like:
- What kinds of sex are people having during pregnancy?
- When do people start having sex postpartum?
- What are other ways people experience pleasure with their partners and their newborns?
- What kinds of challenges do people face during pregnancy and postpartum that hinder relationships intimacy?
- How have some people overcome these challenges?
- What resources are available to people within your community and online?Students will work through their online modules together, with weekly discussions, and instructor support. In the end students will have a closing assignment that will aid them in creating materials that they can use with future clients and their identified audience.
Module 1: Creating a foundation to build on.
Module 2: The missing voices of birth.
Module 3: Reflections on sexual messaging about women and mothers.
Module 4: Physiology and psychology of pregnancy and its impact on sexual expression.
Module 5: Physiology and psychology of labour and the postpartum period and its impact on sexual expression.
Module 6: Relationships matter.
Module 7: Talking through taboos.
Module 8: Making educated referrals.
The 8 week Sex and Birth Training workshop is set as a one-time of fee of $175*
The cost of required readings additional costs to the student.
Approximate costs for books will vary depending on where students purchase them. The average cost of past session as been approximately $150-200.
Required Books for this Course:
1. Come As You Are: The surprising new science that will transform your sex life.
2. The Mother’s Guide to Sex: Enjoying your sexuality through all stages of motherhood.
3. And Baby Makes Three: The six-step plan for preserving marital intimacy and rekindling romance after baby arrives.
4.Survivor Moms: Women’s stories of birthing, mothering, and healing after sexual abuse.
Your one time training fee covers:
- 80 page student reference guide and accompanying materials
- Instructor fee
- Online access to your learning modules, which includes slides, professional interviews, and group discussions in our Sex and Birth “student lounge”
- Administrative costs
- Certificate of completion (electronic)
- The pleasure of calling yourself a Sex and Birth Support Person once you have completed the program!
- Canadian developed programs
- One time training fees
- A dedicated team that takes time with each student as requested
- A passionate family of thousands of Doulas and CBEs who are available 24/7 via our online community
- Online access to resources, learning modules, and continuing education
- One time fee of $175 plus applicable taxes
- Full payment due at time of registration.
- Payment can be made by Credit card, PayPal, or Email Money Transfer. More details on this will be sent when registration is processed.
- Students are responsible for the purchase of required readings.
- All payments are Non-refundable. Please read our cancellation policy prior to registering.
*applicable taxes not included in base fee*