Registration closes one week before event. Please contact us for more information.
- This event has passed.
WEBINAR: Moving Beyond Trauma-Awareness I September 25 @ 2pm EST
September 25 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm EDT$20.00
Are you truly trauma-informed?
What does it mean to move beyond trauma-awareness to a competency of being informed in systems and practices that reduce harm and can impact clients’ in an efficacious and safe manner?
This 90 minute webinar with Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) and experienced reproductive support worker, Shaunacy King, will approach the evidence and current climate of birth work from the honest foundation of evidence-based resources and harm reduction considerations related to what the science says about being truly and authentically competent as a trauma-informed practitioner.
Topics and points for discussion:
- Defining trauma, trauma focus, trauma sensitivity, and trauma awareness in the current climate of birth work
- A review of scientifically valid trauma focused and trauma informed methods and models, and how they apply to practice guidelines in a reproductive support
- An open discussion amongst participants about their own knowledge of harm reduction methods, trauma-informed practices, safety planning, and knowledge about when and why to refer
- Suggestions for moving from trauma-aware to trauma-informed
- Sharing of tools for supporting clients from a trauma sensitive/aware support model
- Provide suggestions for deepening skills and knowledge
- Q & A – open questions/ discussion
Who can benefit from this webinar:
– Reproductive support practitioners (e.g. birth workers, doulas) and stakeholders who wish to further develop the principles of a trauma-informed practice
– Counsellors and therapists interested in and curious about perinatal therapy and therapeutic support
– Healthcare workers and practitioners who are interested in developing their efficacy around trauma-informed practices, principles, and harm reduction methods/models
– Anyone who is curious about the buzz-worthy use of “trauma-informed” and is seeking clarity on why trauma-informed practices go beyond marketing and knowledge of systems concerns and active listening
Next webinar: Sunday September 25th at 2pm via Zoom.
Closed-captioning available at all DTC events.
Due to the sensitive nature of this topic and to create space for sharing parts this webinar will not be available for playback.
Cost per participant: $20.00
Shaunacy is a Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) in the province of Ontario who is currently working in a private clinic as she completes her hours for full CRPO recognition. As a therapist Shaunacy has focused her training on trauma-informed frameworks for mental and emotional well-being and has completed trainings in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Emotionally-Focused Therapy, Narrative Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioural therapy for trauma and trauma-related concerns. In addition to her work in trauma Shaunacy has completed AASECT qualifying training in frameworks for supporting sexuality, sexual health, sex and relationship diversity, and working with couples. She has been a reproductive support worker for many years and continues to support clients through referral, specifically as it related to labour and birth or menopause support. When Shaunacy is not assisting clients she is often out in the woods with her children forgaing for wild plants and soaking up some vitamin D.